Sunday, September 24, 2006

Hafizah (Lucky Garden, 20th September, 2006)

An Exhausting Experience

This trek was more challenging than the last. Well, it was neither the distance, nor the up-and-down journey that made it challenging (getting used to those already), but the pace at which I had to follow. We had to walk at a faster speed in order to reach the “finish line” before sundown. However, after covering one-third of the journey, we slowed down and eventually stopped momentarily, because one of our team members was in need of first-aid help. After we tended to her needs, we continued the trek, and this time at an even faster pace. We were trotting (as described by out leader) through the forest. At that speed, plus the uneven and occasionally slippery surface of the forest floor, I had to constantly watch where I tread, or I might risk tripping over the roots or something.

Oh I forgot to mention this: at one point during the trek, I encountered a trail of black ants, in which each ant had a baby ant (not sure whether it was a pupa or larva), between its mandibles. A friend told me that they were probably slave-raiding! Some species of ants would invade a neighbour’s nest, steal their babies, and bring them back to their own nest. Then, once they mature, they work for the colony that captured them. I was quite surprised, as I never knew about such behaviour in ants before. I certainly learned something new that day!

In three words, the trek was: exhausting, educational, and enjoyable! d(' ',)b

No comments: