Saturday, September 16, 2006

Hafizah (Rimba, 13th September, 2006)

A Series of Unusual Encounters

In my point of view, this trek was by far the most challenging, fascinating, and indeed an obstacle course. There were various sorts of plants that I encountered for the very first time. Unfortunately, however, I haven’t learned what their names are. The trekking was particularly challenging because the trekking path was narrow, occasionally steep and slippery, and the dense undergrowth that slowed down our pace.

I came across a pitcher plant, various types of ferns, developing ferns which curled beautifully, mosses, mushrooms, and two different architectural designs of ants’ nests: one that looked like a ball was built on tree branches, and the other, which appeared like it was melting away, was formed around a tree trunk.

Having emerged from the forest, we arrived at a housing construction site. The houses were all half-way to completion, and it seemed that they’ve been abandoned for quite a while. The thick and overgrown grass and the sunless interior of the houses created an eerie atmosphere. Another thing, it was as if the housing project was abandoned abruptly. There were still unused bricks lying around and a bagful of probably cement … as though they left in haste.


Then, we reached a vast open area, at which I felt like I was no longer in Brunei. Why so? Well, for one, it was the parched land. It reminded me of drought and famine. A close view of it resembled a jigsaw puzzle. Then, I saw hoof prints of a warthog, and Pumbaa from ‘The Lion King’ immediately came to mind. Later, in a natural structure that looked a tad like the Grand Canyon, were holes made by birds of an unknown species that functioned as nests. However, the most extraordinary encounter was a piece of land that was covered with flat-top peaks, and a miniature version of the Swiss Alps. Now, those made me feel like I was on Mars!

The only downside of this trekking activity was that I didn’t get the opportunity to learn the names of the plants and natural formations that I saw. Otherwise, it was quite a rewarding experience! Therefore deserving a 7/10! d(‘‘,)b Two thumbs-up!

No comments: