Saturday, November 04, 2006

Hafizah (Bukit Kampong Serdang, 1st November, 2006)

Vantage Point

Those who don’t come for this trek rugi (Cheong, 2006). I couldn’t agree more; she was right. The main reason being the scenic view that I could see as we climbed further uphill. From my vantage point on Bukit Kampong Serdang, I had a lovely view of Kampong Ayer, and the Brunei Bay. As I was the leader this week, I made a head start into the woods. Occasionally, I stopped momentarily so that the others behind me could catch up, and, well, frankly because I needed to take a short rest. Phew! Climbing hills isn’t as easy as I thought it would. Nevertheless, it was a rewarding experience! : )

At one point during the trek, for reasons I’m not sure of, I felt like I was in Mountain Patrol. Hm… Possibly because of the swallows that were flying up high in the sky, which reminded me of vultures, plus the bamboo hut. Strange, I know.

Flora and fauna encountered: Wild orchid, Melastoma, Kuduk-kuduk, Pitcher plant, ubi kuning, cucumber, bluish foliage (no kidding!), a white moth, and swallows.

The sad thing about Bukit Serdang was the considerably extensive logging. A few times along the path that I walked on, I could see fallen trees. A chainsaw massacre…

No comments: