Monday, November 20, 2006

Hafizah (Bukit Patoi, Temburong, 10th November, 2006)

Stepping Stone

As this was my first trip to Temburong, I was quite thrilled that morning. Wait, dawn was more like it. : )

We left the jetty at 6:25am. The river view was scenic and relaxing. As the sun rose higher, the river sparkled with its reflections. I was as usual busy shooting photos. At some point during the river cruise, we entered Malaysian waters. The view was noticeably different from Brunei. The trees on Malaysian soil were much less in number and were of different types.

At 8:10am, we set off to the peak of Bukit Patoi. One of the things that never failed to amaze me was the giant forest ants (Camponotus gigas). There were about an inch long! Other enchantments of Bukit Patoi were its HUGE tall trees, moss-covered boulders which added to the enchanting air of the forest, different types of fungus, Batu Tergangam, and of course, the breathtaking view at the summit!

This trek benefited me in a number of ways. One, I learned a lot of names of plants and trees, including their uses and medicinal values. Second, I became increasingly appreciative of the natural environment. Third, I had the opportunity to explore and see new places. Last but not least, this trip up the Patoi hill was in a way or another, served as a stepping stone to higher and far more challenging hills and mountains!

No comments: